When it comes to life post-pandemic, health experts worry most about mental health. Across Canada, levels of stress, anxiety, and depression have increased exponentially in employees, and they are bringing it back into their workplace.
Before COVID-19, due to limitations of their EAPs, benefits, and finances, more than 50% will not get the mental health support they need to combat pandemic-related stress, anxiety, and depression.
Digital mental health solutions will play an important role in providing employees mental healthcare during COVID-19 and beyond without the constraints of cost, time, and access.
Today, organizations are looking for evidence-based and skill-based interventions to help employees build mental resilience.
But what is mental resilience?
Also known as “Mental Fitness”, it is defined as a state of well-being and having a positive sense of how we feel, think, and act. The concept of mental fitness has only emerged in the past few years. It helps people understand that just as we can improve our physical health by moving our bodies, we improve our mental health by strengthening our minds.
What is cognitive behavioural therapy?
Cognitive-behavioural therapy (CBT) is a practical, short-term form of psychotherapy, also known as talk therapy. It helps people develop practical and sustainable skills and strategies to manage their mental health through day-to-day problems. It concentrates on the connections between thought patterns, emotional state, and physical sensations. It guides people to objectively evaluate how to think about themselves, other people, and events in their lives. This helps to strengthen the neural connections that lead to positive thinking and behaviour. At Starling, our digital solution does this by taking an individual’s unique assessment results, and tailor strategies to help them recognize and combat negative patterns, and reduce stress, anxiety and depression. It’s like having a personal trainer for the mind!
Benefits of digital cognitive behavioural therapy
- Costs: Costs the fraction of the price of face-to-face therapy due to its digital delivery model
- Accessibility: Digital platform makes it accessible anytime, anywhere including remote areas or times of social distancing
- Readily Available: 24/7, immediate access to therapy tools due to the digital platform
- Easy to Use: Digital CBT allows employees to move through therapeutic programs at their own pace, when and where convenient, ultimately improving employees’ mental health
- Highly Effective: CBT is the most effective form of treatment for those coping with depression and anxiety. CBT alone is 50-75% effective for overcoming depression and anxiety after 5 – 15 modules. For Starling Members, 77% reported reduced levels of anxiety, stress, and depression
- Easy to Complete Treatment: Treatment adherence is how likely someone is to follow a treatment plan. Treatment adherence to online Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is 82%.
- High Return on Investment: Investing in guided digital CBT programs that offer customized care plans have been shown to generate significant returns. For every dollar invested, employers may see returns of $0.39 to $3.35 per participating employee after one year.
Download Infographic: The Benefits of Digital Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
Starling’s unique approach to mental health support
Similar to the learning that takes place in face-to-face Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) sessions, our programs are designed to guide members through a similar therapeutic journey, yet personalized to their unique mental health struggles.
- Check-Up: A complete assessment of a member’s primary psychological conditions
- Dashboards: Shows current levels of energy, resilience, anxiety, and depression from check-up questions & therapeutic training tracks
- CBT: Therapy sessions deliver three to four key concepts or exercises in ten-minute, bite-sized experiences to build a member’s mental resilience
- Mental Toolbox: Set of tools to help the member set realistic goals, track their progress, balance negative thoughts, and regulate their moods
- Community: Provides support, encouragement and an understanding that each member is not alone on their journey
What has been Starling’s Digital CBT results?
- 77% report lower stress, anxiety, and depression
- 91% of members believe that Starling helps manage their mental health
- 4 in 5 reduce absences by 6.5 days per year
- 5 x payback on investment reported by clients
Want to learn more about our CBT approach?
What’s the difference between Online CBT Programs and EAPs?